Friday, July 29, 2011

SAAM..

On Thursday, my day off I sent Bradley a text stating that I was wanting to go do something outside. It was warm and sunny, something that shouldn't be wasted. He sent me a message back that said we should do something downtown. Sounded like a plan to me, then I got a another message, lets go to the Seattle Asian Art Museum. Yay..this is somewhere I have wanted to go check out but has always been in the back of my mind. We have a membership at the SAM and this extends to the SAAM too.


Brad wanted me to tell you guys about the art that was there. They are have a lot of really old art in their permanent collection, things that I have no idea how the heck they were able to make without technology. There were painted screens and sculptures carved out of stone with very fine detail. My favorite part was all of the dished that they had on display. I think that was the best part of the museum. They had a whole wall that was dedicated to snuff boxes. My personal favorite was the ones with monkeys on them.


Outside the museum was so much fun. It is located on Capital Hill in a park called, Volunteer Park, in an older part of town. These camels are located right outside the door to the museum. I just love the look of the building that it is in. Its really everything that I thought it would be.


Across the street for the museum is a water reservoir and this sculpture that I am standing next to called Black Sun.


I'm throwing this picture into the mix :) He has just taken my photo by the Black Sun. I think that it is a cute one of him. Such a good sport.


The water was a little green, so we had to search to find the fish. That was until we realized that they were huge and kind of hard to miss.


To either side of the sculpture are little koi ponds. The fish were so funny to watch. Something fishy was going down and it looked like they were fighting. The fish all ganged up on one and started chasing it around the pond.


This picture took a very long time to get. They kept popping their heads out of the water to eat, but every time that it happened we were not prepared. Brad's favorite fish in the pond was the orange one that is swimming past the white one eating. Glad we were able to get the little guy in it.

While we were walking in the park before we had reached the SAAM we saw a huge round building. I told Bradley that once we were done that we had to go and check it out before we left.


This is called the Volunteer Park Water Tower. You are able to walk up to the top and look out on the observation deck. I had to do some more research about this park. It is said that pavement at the base is the highest point on Capital Hill. At the top, the elevation is 520'. That is just so crazy to think about. The Space Needle is said to be 725 feet above sea level. Doesn't that just make your ears need to pop :)



The view was simply amazing.


Brad was sitting on a bench while I was talking to him. Above his head was this sign, "Maximum Capacity 49 People." A little unsettling if you ask Brad.


Brad is teaching me how to aim with the camera when I am taking pictures of the two of us. If he takes the photo he pulls a concentration face and I make him take a million photos before he gets a good one of us looking normal. My aim in this isn't quite there yet but I have made some major improvements. One day I will have it just right!


No comments: