A couple weeks ago my mom came out and visited us up here in Seattle. Now that I know more about what this city has to offer I was able to take her around to a couple of my favorite spots. The weather wasn't exactly the best but I think that we did good with what we had :)
She arrived on Saturday. She had seen my photos from the Georgetown Art Walk and wanted to go to the Trailer Park Mall. We had meet up with my Uncle Mark and Aunt Kellie. Down by Georgetown is where the Boeing Museum and a bunch of Boeing buildings are located. My uncle has worked there for 30 something years. He took us on a quick driving tour to different buildings that he has worked in over the years. It was interesting to hear some of the history of the different building and stuff that has evolved through Boeing.
Down in Georgetown is also the site of the giant boot and hat. This was on my list of things that I have been wanting to see since Brad and me accidentally drove past it on night. This was also something that my uncle and aunt hadn't seen before either. It was awesome to do something that was new.
When we were done with the boot and hat we headed down to go and check out the local art. I felt bad that Bradley had to miss out on this part of it. This week was his spring break and he was working really hard on his BFA show. Deadlines are slowly sneaking up.
Here is my mom in a building with all of the good art.

Here is the two of us.
Here is the two of us.
When we were done looking at the art in the good building we headed down to the Trailer Park Mall. We only hit the one building and the mall while we were there because it was pouring ran! This Trailer Park Mall reminds me of a swap meet because each trailer is full of random stuff and owned by a different person. A bunch of the stuff that they have there is way over priced but I was actually able to find something :) It didn't make sense to anyone else in my group by my mom when I got it. It was a package of eyelet, something that I will use in my bookmaking!


This was pretty much the end of our night. Georgetown used to not be a good part of town according to my uncle. It used to be really run down and where all of the bums lived. He was a little uneasy about being down there and walking through the streets. I think that they are having the Georgetown Art Attach to bring people back down that area. They have really cleaned it up and even Mark thought so.
On Sunday we had the plan that we were going to go to the SAM and look at the new exhibit, Gauguin. This is something that Brad and me have been wanting to go see for quite sometime. We had tried before but the museum would have closed before we could have seen everything. This is a painter that Brad had studied about in school the past two semesters so he was extra excited to see it. Mark and Kellie came and meet up with us. This show is a big deal!

Before we all went to the SAM though we had to stop and pick up Brad from his art studio. At that time he was able to show everyone what he has been working on this year and what is going to be in his BFA show. Its always exciting to show people what he is doing! He has so much going on for him right now, it will be fun to see the finished product.
Back to the SAM..we didn't take too many photos while we were there. You are not allowed to in the Gauguin Exhibit, but even if you were there wasn't any room to do so. There was way too many people in there that it almost didn't make it enjoyable. We are planning on going back where there isn't such large crowds to get a closer look. When we were done looking at that show, Brad and I had a chance to walk them through the permanent collection and show them our favorite pieces. Below is a photo of me by my favorite painting in the whole SAM. Its even better in person. You lose some of the drama of it in a photo.

Monday was the day that we got our shopping on! I have been needing some new jeans, work shoes, and a dress for Brad's graduation. I was able to find all of these and really good deals. This was such a stress off of me. I have a stack of about 6 pairs of jeans that have holes beyond repair and my work shoes don't have any rubber on the bottom of them (makes it hard to work in a freezer.) My mom likes to shop and it saved Brad from having to run around with me. I'm lucky that he likes to shop but I know that after a little while he starts to get bored with it. When we were half way done with the shopping we went downtown and picked up Brad for lunch. We took my mom to one of our favorite places to eat, Blue Moon Burger. This place is the best!
On Tuesday I thought that I should take my mom downtown to see some of the sites that she wasn't able to see the last time that she was out here. We did a little bit of window shopping, before we headed down to Pike Place Market. The weather was getting colder and colder the longer that we were outside. Downtown is always more windy then where I live so it is hard to decide what to wear most of the time.

This was pretty much the end of our night. Georgetown used to not be a good part of town according to my uncle. It used to be really run down and where all of the bums lived. He was a little uneasy about being down there and walking through the streets. I think that they are having the Georgetown Art Attach to bring people back down that area. They have really cleaned it up and even Mark thought so.
On Sunday we had the plan that we were going to go to the SAM and look at the new exhibit, Gauguin. This is something that Brad and me have been wanting to go see for quite sometime. We had tried before but the museum would have closed before we could have seen everything. This is a painter that Brad had studied about in school the past two semesters so he was extra excited to see it. Mark and Kellie came and meet up with us. This show is a big deal!
Before we all went to the SAM though we had to stop and pick up Brad from his art studio. At that time he was able to show everyone what he has been working on this year and what is going to be in his BFA show. Its always exciting to show people what he is doing! He has so much going on for him right now, it will be fun to see the finished product.
Back to the SAM..we didn't take too many photos while we were there. You are not allowed to in the Gauguin Exhibit, but even if you were there wasn't any room to do so. There was way too many people in there that it almost didn't make it enjoyable. We are planning on going back where there isn't such large crowds to get a closer look. When we were done looking at that show, Brad and I had a chance to walk them through the permanent collection and show them our favorite pieces. Below is a photo of me by my favorite painting in the whole SAM. Its even better in person. You lose some of the drama of it in a photo.
Monday was the day that we got our shopping on! I have been needing some new jeans, work shoes, and a dress for Brad's graduation. I was able to find all of these and really good deals. This was such a stress off of me. I have a stack of about 6 pairs of jeans that have holes beyond repair and my work shoes don't have any rubber on the bottom of them (makes it hard to work in a freezer.) My mom likes to shop and it saved Brad from having to run around with me. I'm lucky that he likes to shop but I know that after a little while he starts to get bored with it. When we were half way done with the shopping we went downtown and picked up Brad for lunch. We took my mom to one of our favorite places to eat, Blue Moon Burger. This place is the best!
On Tuesday I thought that I should take my mom downtown to see some of the sites that she wasn't able to see the last time that she was out here. We did a little bit of window shopping, before we headed down to Pike Place Market. The weather was getting colder and colder the longer that we were outside. Downtown is always more windy then where I live so it is hard to decide what to wear most of the time.
Quick shot outside the market. I didn't give her time to think about the photo..

This is us in the market. Kind of a random place to take a photo but I guess it works.
This is us in the market. Kind of a random place to take a photo but I guess it works.
We walked all over the market looking at different things. There is one antique mall that I like to go to because they have all the estate jewelry you could think of. I have a ring that I am looking for so every time that I am down there I have to see if they have it yet :) So far I haven't seen it but there have been things that are close. When we were done looking at the rings we headed down to a look out point. I would have taken us closer to the water but it was way too windy to have been enjoyable.


You can see how windy it was by her hair :) In Utah we don't have any bodies of water like this, and no the Salt Lake and Utah Lake don't count! She was wanting me to get a picture of her with the boats. This is one of my favorite place to go when it is nice weather. I like watching all of the boats pass by on the water. Its so mesmerizing.
This was her last full day that she was in Seattle. It was a real fun trip. I haven't seen her for about a year and a half. I don't plan on making any trips to Utah anytime soon so if I am going to see family at all they are going to have to come to me :) Next time that we are going to see more family is going to be at Brad's graduation. Sounds like it is just going to be Brad's family at this point in time. Life is good!
You can see how windy it was by her hair :) In Utah we don't have any bodies of water like this, and no the Salt Lake and Utah Lake don't count! She was wanting me to get a picture of her with the boats. This is one of my favorite place to go when it is nice weather. I like watching all of the boats pass by on the water. Its so mesmerizing.
This was her last full day that she was in Seattle. It was a real fun trip. I haven't seen her for about a year and a half. I don't plan on making any trips to Utah anytime soon so if I am going to see family at all they are going to have to come to me :) Next time that we are going to see more family is going to be at Brad's graduation. Sounds like it is just going to be Brad's family at this point in time. Life is good!
No comments:
Post a Comment