Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Bread..

I have made up my mind that I am wanting to see if I can make homemade bread. I have never tried to attempt anything like this before so we will have to see how it turns out. I love how homemade bread tastes and I think that it will be healthier. I also love to cook and haven't really had the training to do so. I'm so glad for my job that I have now, working with all of my old ladies. They have been giving me tips over the last five years since I have been working with them. Things that you would learn only in the kitchen and years of experience.

I have also been working with Brad the last couple of years to figure out what gives him heartburn. We noticed that there was one ingredient that was constant in all of the food that was making him sick. For fun one day we went to the grocery store and checked out everything that we normally buy that had this ingredient to see if there was something that we could switch it out for. We came to the bread isle. This was the major eye opener for me. There was only one bread company that didn't add it into their bread. Lets just say this is what we have been buying from now on and it seems to be helping but it is kind of pricey when your living on a college student budget.

I would like to say thanks to my sister for looking through all of her cook books to find some bread recipes to try. Also she gave me the idea that I could always look on the internet. I found on that is called a half whole wheat bread. I'm hoping that it turns out. I don't have a bread maker and don't know if that will be something that I will want to invest in due to small apartment living and lack of storage space. If anyone has any good recipes to share I would love to hear! I always like to try new things (also working with Brad in that department, I don't like picky eaters but he is doing a lot better!!!)

I will let you know how it all turns out..fingers crossed!!!

1 comment:

Pat said...

That's awesome Libby - I wish I could help, but that's been a talent I've never been able to master.
(I don't have the patience!)

I was raised on home made bread, and there's just nothing like it.
I'm not sure a bread maker is what you would want, I have one, and the bread is just not the same. (There are probably better ones than the one I have, but they are expensive.)
Good luck!