Monday, December 27, 2010

While visions of Del Taco danced in thier heads...


On Christmas Eve I had a dream about Del Taco and it made me really excited and happy. When I woke up I was reminded that we don't have any of those up here in Seattle, or even in the state of Washington. Believe me, I looked online. Its funny about the weird things that you miss. Even if its just cheap tacos :)

Christmas was one of the best I think that I have ever had. Skype is a great thing. I got to talk to all mine and Brads family, minus Tom's. Its a great way to keep in touch and get to see everyone through the distance. I just want to thank everyone again for the presents. We appreciate everyone thinking about us!

The weather was pleasant so we decided that we were going to take a walk down to Gas Works Park. This is one of Bradley's favorite places. The town was really quite..on the freeway going downtown we counted about ten cars. For I 5, that is very empty. It was so peaceful. The only people that we really ran into were people that had their dogs out of walks. Seattle is such a dog town, people are nuts for them.

I've seen everyone's pictures down in Utah and it makes me so happy that we don't have any snow. It looks like they all have around 2 feet of snow. It just makes me cold looking at it. I would take the rain any day compared to that cold wet stuff. We have had snow once since we have moved up here and that was during Thanksgiving week. It was a new experience for me, I've never seen a city shut down because of snow. I will say that Payson City has prepped me to drive on roads that haven't been plowed.

To the right is a picture of the Seattle skyline from Gas Works. You can even see some blue trying to peek through :) On a normal day there is normally a little more traffic on the water, but we were excited to be able to see the reflections of the buildings without the wake of boats.

This place is fun if you come on a day that is warm. The day that we took my mom and sister there it was so cold and windy. We had to rush through the park because it was so miserable. I'm sad that they were not able to stick around and enjoy it, but there is always a different time.

Here I am showing off the Space Needle. Its funny to see how far out of the way it is compared to all of the other buildings in downtown. Most people don't realize how shady that part of town is. I think that it is funny because when most people think of Seattle they think of three things..the music scene, Pikes Place Market, and the Space Needle. Don't get me wrong though, if you do come and visit Seattle, the Space Needle is somewhere you need to visit so you can say, been there done that.


Brad got really excited for this boat. It was moving really fast in the water. They had their own private body of water. I think that would be a fun way to spend Christmas, but I doubt Brad would think so. He is not a huge fan of risks and being on a boat is one of them. He likes to have solid ground under his feet.


I just had to throw this picture in. Brad makes me laugh and didn't want you to think that I was just putting pictures up of me because I like myself so much :) These pictures are part of the project that I am still working on. Its taking me a while because when I get off of work its starting to get dark outside.
















Gas Works Park used to be an old refinery for gas (go figure) so there are old abandon buildings like the one that we are standing in front of. Its almost like something that is out of a video game, or so I hear. When they shut it down, because it was polluting the water, they made it into the park. Its like no place that I have ever been before. Every trip that we made out to Seattle we had to make sure that we stopped here. This was one of Brad's favorite things in Seattle and he used to visit it all the time when he lived here the first time.

When we were done with Gas Works we didn't really want to go straight home so we decided that we could walk up to the UW (University of Washington) campus. Along the way we took a picture of the green bridge. This is how the bus takes Brad to school everyday. This is part of the documentation of our life in Seattle. We were walking on the bike trail that is along the water front. I think that we saw about 3 bikes on our whole walk. This is another unusual thing to happen. Guess it only happens on Christmas. A few years back on New Years Day Brad recalls that the city was that quite for him when he had to be at work. I can only imagine with all of the parties that had to be going on. I'm betting its a good thing that it was so quite!

When we walked under the bridge this is what we found. Very interesting if you ask me..not too sure how to take this :)

My question to what the heck this was, was answered. There was a plate that explained it. We have all seen those motorcycle cages in movies where people drive around in circles. The artist that made this said they made it similar to that but the purpose of this was for bicycles to do it. This concerned me for a minute but then I went and looked at it and there was no way that a bike would be able to make it work. There are always those dumb asses that would try to make it work if they could.

The UW campus has a lot of really awesome old buildings. This is one place that Brad had looked at to go to school but we decided against it when we saw what the art department had to offer. The building that I'm standing in front of had the coolest room. It looks like the library out of Harry Potter. Every time that some one comes to visit out here though the place is closed so I can't show them. One day someone will visit when the building is open. I think that it is so awesome!

Brad went a little picture happy when we got here because he was enjoying how the lighting was effecting the old brick buildings. By this time on our walk we were starting to see more blue sky. Even though you really can't tell because the sky is really washed out on these two pictures. It had also started to really warm up, if you notice our sweatshirts are also unzipped!

At this time we got to enjoy the ducks that were in the fountain. I was thinking about it, don't the birds normally fly south for the winter? Maybe these guys were a little lost because we are are no where close to being in the south. They were a lot of fun to sit and watch them swim around. Ducks are really strange animals but very funny!


These two little guys were the most entertaining ducks in the fountain. They came right over to us and were swimming around thinking that we were going to give them food. Guess the joke was on them. They really made me laugh because they were swimming around smelling the water looking for food and then they swam into each other and hit becks. They didn't like that :)





I know that I keep talking about blue skies but have yet to show you any. This is the final picture that we took on our walk before we went home. And they say that it is always raining in Seattle.

1 comment:

Pat said...

Nice photos Libby, I want copies!